Skip to Main Content
Skip to Main Menu
Ontario Racing Commission
Inner Page Racing Picture
Print this Page


Individual Standardbred

A licensee who has not renewed their licence for five years will be treated as a new licence applicant.

  • Owner
  • Driver
  • Trainer / Assistant
  • Trainer
  • Groom
  • Occupational
  • Veterinarian
  • Authorized Agent
  • Pari-Mutuel
  • Tradesperson
  • Association Official
  • Commission Official

Standardbred Licensing Fee Schedule

First time applying for licensing
To obtain a licence from the Ontario Racing Commission, an individual needs to complete an licence application in the category required, i.e. owner, groom, etc.

To obtain an application

  • Download from this website
  • Contact any office of the ORC to have a form mailed
  • Go to the ORC Licensing Offices located on the backstretch of any operating Standardbred racetrack.

A new applicant will be expected to provide the following:

  • Detailed personal information, including birth date, address and emergency contact information, etc.
  • Proof of Identification (i.e. Ontario Drivers Licence)
  • Standardbred Canada or United States Trotting Association Membership Number (individuals who are involved in racing, must be members of one of these organizations)
  • Application Fees

A new licensee can expect to be investigated as to their suitability for licensing.
The charge for a licence may vary depending upon the category(s) being applied for.

Birthdate Renewal 
Licences issued to individuals are renewed on a birthdate cycle. As a courtesy, computer generated application renewal forms are mailed out directly to licensees. A person wishing to renew their licence should take this form to the nearest ORC Licensing Office for processing. Alternately a licensee can obtain a standard application form at any ORC office, or can print and complete the form here. Licensees are reminded that it is their responsibility to have their licence renewed. 

Multi-Jurisdictional Licence 
The National Compact and the ARCI both offer a form of multi-jurisdictional licensing. This licence is intended to ease the application paperwork for owners who intend to be racing in many jurisdictions, but the process still requires the submission to each jurisdiction for licensing. Multi-jurisdictional licensing is not considered reciprocal licensing. 
For further information on this type of licensing, contact the Association of Racing Commissioners, International via 

Temporary Licence 
A temporary licence is only issued in the case of an emergency at the discretion of the judges. 
The 15 day licence is issued when the applicant cannot attend at the ORC Licensing Office and another individual is filing the application on their behalf (i.e. a trainer filling out a form for an owner). 
The temporary licence must be upgraded by the licensee prior to expiry. Failure to upgrade the licence to permanent status will result in a suspension, fine or both. 

Lost Licence 
If an ORC Photo Identification card is lost, a replacement can be applied for at an ORC Licensing Office. A fee for replacement will apply. 


Any person owning all or part of a horse racing in Ontario must hold a valid ORC licence. Owners must have their name on the horse’s papers and these papers must be registered with Standardbred Canada before an ORC licence will be issued. 

The corresponding officer of record, lessee and/or syndicate manager of all stallions registered in the Ontario Sires Stakes program in Ontario must obtain an ORC licence, if they do not currently hold a valid ORC licence in any other category. 

Trainers and drivers must have passed Standardbred Canada accreditation before applying for their licence. Potential drivers must contact the judges to arrange for assessment and should refer to Chapter 25 of the Rules of Standardbred Racing for further information. 

A groom’s application for licensing must be signed by their employer. 

Occupational personnel are persons employed by the racetrack, i.e. security, parking, catering, maintenance, cleaners, admissions, program department, publicity and office staff. An individual applying for an occupational licence must have the application signed by their employer. 

Authorized Agent 
An authorized agent is a person who has been authorized to act on behalf of another individual in a variety of capacities. When acting in this capacity an individual needs to obtain a licence in this category. 

A tradesperson is a person not employed by the racetrack either directly or indirectly and could include blacksmiths, feed supply persons, etc. All applicants for a Tradesperson licence, both new and renewal, must obtain a signature from racetrack management to establish that their presence on the grounds is acceptable to the racetrack. 

All pari-mutuel staff must hold a valid ORC licence prior to working in the capacity. Failure to be licensed may result in fines for the racetrack. An individual applying for an occupational licence must have the application signed by their employer. 

Association Official 
Association Official licences are issued to individuals employed by the racetrack or who are working on behalf of the racetrack and include department heads of the racetrack or any employee needing access to the backstretch or paddock, track veterinarians, test inspectors, lasix barn attendants, OnTrack Media employees and ambulance attendants. 

Commission Official 
A Commission Official licence is issued to employees of the Ontario Racing Commission only and would include ORC veterinarians, investigators, agents, head office staff and judges.

ORC Google Location 10 Carlson Court

Suite 400

Toronto, Ontario

M9W 6L2

Telephone_logo (416) 213-0520 [Phone]
Email Envelope_logo
  Share on

    Crime Stoppers Logo
    Canadian Legal Information Institute