Skip to Main Content
Skip to Main Menu
Ontario Racing Commission
You are here:
Inner Page Racing Picture
Print this Page



What is the Cost of a Standardbred License?

Any person or corporation involved in Standardbred racing in Ontario must hold a current and valid ORC Standardbred licence to participate in racing in the province. ORC Licensing Offices are located at all operating Standardbred racetracks. An ORC license is required for all owners and trainers entering horses and is required by any person needing access to the backstretch or paddock for the purposes of racing. All licences must be renewed annually.

Licence must be carried at all times
Whenever a licensee is in the stable area of the Association or needs to gain access to the paddock when their horse is racing, they must have their valid and current photo identification card on their person. A licensee is required to produce his or her licence card upon request by an authorized representative of the Association, a racing official or a representative or member of the Commission.

A “guest” of a licensee is allowed in the backstretch accompanied by the licensee, once the guest has been signed in and approved.

Change of Address
A licensee must provide written notification of any change in permanent address within five (5) days of any change.

Claiming Certificate

What is a claiming race?
An individual who does not have an ORC license must obtain a claiming certificate to claim a racehorse.
A claiming certificate (Application form 04060) can be applied for at an ORC Licensing Office.
A claiming certificate costs $25 and is valid for 30 days. Once a horse is claimed, the individual must then apply for a licence as an owner.
An individual who already possesses a valid ORC licence, need not apply for a claiming certificate.

Lessors and Lessees
When a horse is programmed to race under a Lessee Owner, the owner of the horse as well as the person or entity leasing the horse must be licensed.

Horse Suspension
A horse will be suspended when:
  1. An owner, stable or estate does not have a valid license;
  2. A temporary license has expired; or
  3. A reciprocal licensee has not supplied proof of a valid license from a recognized racing jurisdiction.

ORC Google Location 10 Carlson Court

Suite 400

Toronto, Ontario

M9W 6L2

Telephone_logo (416) 213-0520 [Phone]
Email Envelope_logo
  Share on

    Crime Stoppers Logo
    Canadian Legal Information Institute